Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie Q: Tape Changers and X80

2003-05-16 12:02:46
Subject: Re: Newbie Q: Tape Changers and X80
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:00:29 -0400
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 10:31:29AM -0500, Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM wrote:
> Hi all:
> I am just starting to process the stuff needed to implement amanda for my
> group
> (sw, knowledge, hw stuff, etc)
>
> I've gotten as far as printing all the documentation (and indexing it...)
>
> Questions so far:
> (Mostly solaris 2.[7-9])
> 1) I have an Exabyte X80 tape changer  It hasnt been used in over 2 years.
> IS anyone out there running amanda with it?
> Can anyone give me any ideas on what I'll have to do to get it started?

get your library installed according to manufacturer's and Sun's instructions
  on the system you plan to use as the backup server (tapehost)
  (if on installed on a newer Solaris system, some prefer to use the
   sgen driver for the changer instead of the mt driver - see docs.sun.com
   btw - amanda doesn't need the newest and fastest system you have)
get your drive(s) functioning with commands like mt, dd, tar, ufsdump
get a copy of mtx, and get it functioning to control your changer
get a copy of gnutar (not Sun's tar, not the Companion CD gnutar),
  but version 1.13.19 or 1.13.25
visit amanda.org
read the online chapter of Backup and Recovery pointed to there.
get the software from the pointer on amanda.org
build a complete version on your tapehost, install it there and get it
  backing up the tapehost alone -- one or two file systems to start
build and install client versions on your other systems
add them 1 or 2 file systems from 1 or 2 clients at a time to the total backup
test that you can do restores and recoveries
sit back and enjoy your new maintenance-free software system

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)