Amanda-Users

RE: Newbie Q: Tape Changers and X80

2003-05-16 12:52:14
Subject: RE: Newbie Q: Tape Changers and X80
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT att DOT com>, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 11:49:36 -0500

--On Friday, May 16, 2003 11:11:12 -0500 "Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM" <mbruntel AT
att DOT com> wrote:

Thanks in advance Jon.
... Jon replied....(snip)

Done  --> get your library installed according to manufacturer's and Sun's
instructions
          on the system you plan to use as the backup server (tapehost)
         (if on installed on a newer Solaris system, some prefer to use the

         sgen driver for the changer instead of the mt driver - see docs.sun.com
         btw - amanda doesn't need the newest and fastest system you have)
UGH. -->  get your drive(s) functioning with commands like mt, dd, tar, ufsdump

Now on list --> get a copy of mtx, and get it functioning to control your
changer
 on my list-> get a copy of gnutar (not Sun's tar, not the Companion CD gnutar),
              but version 1.13.19 or 1.13.25

done ---> visit amanda.org
done ---> read the online chapter of Backup and Recovery pointed to there.
done --->  get the software from the pointer on amanda.org
a) -----> build a complete version on your tapehost, install it there and get it
          backing up the tapehost alone -- one or two file systems to start
b) -----> build and install client versions on your other systems
c) -----> add them 1 or 2 file systems from 1 or 2 clients at a time to the
total backup
d) -----> test that you can do restores and recoveries
e) -----> sit back and enjoy your new maintenance-free software system

a) Thought THIS was next step

b,c,d,e  were what I thought next steps were.

You mean I really have to dump stuff to tape. Ugh.  (oh well...)

You don't have to do a real full dump of your machine, just see if you
can manually tar and dump and restore of a small filesystem to your tape.
 That process is much easier to troubleshoot if it fails  than a 'dump
failed' message from Amanda.  Once you can successfully use mt, tar, etc.
on the drive then it is much easier to get Amanda going.

Frank

Mitch

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com