Amanda-Users

Re: Question about dump levels

2003-05-15 14:45:51
Subject: Re: Question about dump levels
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:41:32 -0400
On Thu May 15 2003 10:39, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:12:03AM -0500, Randy Pearson wrote:
>> Now for my question.  Does anybody know why level 0 and level 1
>> dumps of my disks would be the same approximate size always?
>>
>> I thought a level 1 dump supposed to be an incremental backup,
>> while level 0 is a full backup.  Here are some extracts for the
>> Amanda reports of the dumps of my /home disk.  Looks to me like
>> Amanda is backing up every file, no matter what the dump level
>> is.
>>
>> May 14
>> - -------
>> DUMP SUMMARY:
>>                                      DUMPER STATS
>> TAPER STATS HOST  DISK             L ORIG-KB  OUT-KB COMP%
>> MMM:SS    KB/s  MMM:SS    KB/s -
>> -------------------------------- ---------------------
>> -------------------- zev   /home            1 7436050 4881984
>> 65.7   43:26  1873.6   90:42   897.1
>>
>> May 13
>> - ------
>>                                      DUMPER STATS
>> TAPER STATS HOST  DISK             L ORIG-KB  OUT-KB COMP%
>> MMM:SS    KB/s  MMM:SS    KB/s -
>> -------------------------------- ---------------------
>> -------------------- zev   /home            1 7436050 4881984
>> 65.7   43:26  1873.6   90:42   897.1
>>
>> May 9
>> - -----
>>                                      DUMPER STATS
>> TAPER STATS HOST  DISK             L ORIG-KB  OUT-KB COMP%
>> MMM:SS    KB/s  MMM:SS    KB/s -
>> -------------------------------- ---------------------
>> -------------------- zev   /home            0 7518580 4895872
>> 65.1   42:29  1920.4   90:59   896.8
>
>I'm surprised the planner didn't say, level 1 and level 0 are the
> same size, might as well do level 0.  The two level 1's should
> both be large since both reflect changes since May 9.  Yet, it
> did not shift to level 2 on May 14.
>
>Others have noted the possibility of this being a PC file system
> and not really having unix style timestamps.  And maybe the data
> is changing. I'll just add one really farout one that happened to
> me a long time ago. Some other task you run on your system
> affects the time stamps.  I forget the details, but there was a
> cronjob that ran, scanning all the files on the system.  For some
> reason it affected either the modification or inode change time
> when it did so.

A lit just cam on, about a mile down the tunnel Jon, ISTR I got bit
by whatever that was, sheesh - back about rh6.2 or somewhere back
then.  An early tripwire maybe?  I dunno.  I think I killed it and
the problem ceased.  And I never restarted it as I had other much
less intrusive but at the fact guard dogs on duty.  Tripwire only
tells you if things are past tense.  Portsentry and such stop them
in the present tense.

Humm, is sa or sar running there?

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M