Amanda-Users

Re: backing up HA pairs?

2003-05-14 12:27:46
Subject: Re: backing up HA pairs?
From: David Raistrick <drais AT wow.atlasta DOT net>
To: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:24:48 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 9 May 2003, Eric Sproul wrote:

> Is there anyone using AMANDA to back up pairs or clusters of
> high-availability boxen running Linux?  I've got my first HA pair

Not Linux, but a FreeBSD/freevrrpd/rsync HA pair.

I'd normally just point my server to the virtual IP address and backup
whichever is live at the moment....but since my HA pair is in the PSN/DMZ
of my firewall all return traffic to the amanda server must come from the
same IP that I connect to.  Since the virtual IP is an alias, and amanda
replies from the "main" address of the machine, the firewall blocks the
traffic.

If you don't have a firewall doing this, then this should work fine.

Until I, or someone, hacks amanda-client to reply from the same IP as it's
contacted with (or a configured IP) I just setup a /etc/hosts entry that
points to my current master machine...if they fail over for any period of
time I'll have to manually change the hosts entry.

---
david raistrick
drais AT atlasta DOT net                http://www.expita.com/nomime.html