Amanda-Users

backing up HA pairs?

2003-05-09 10:26:51
Subject: backing up HA pairs?
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 09 May 2003 10:22:13 -0400
All,
Is there anyone using AMANDA to back up pairs or clusters of
high-availability boxen running Linux?  I've got my first HA pair
running Debian, using DRBD (network-aware block devices) for data
replication.  One machine is the primary, the other is a standby
listening to heartbeat for failover detection.  The standby does not
mount the shared disk devices.  DRBD takes care of replicating all
writes to the primary device over the network to the secondary device.
When a failover occurs, the standby just runs an fsck and mounts the
devices.

I'm wondering about the best approach to backing up this pair with
AMANDA.  Should she be directed to the virtual IP that migrates between
the machines, so no matter which one is in charge, backups still
succeed, or should I put some other intelligence in front of AMANDA to
determine which one is active, then back it up via its native interface?

Thanks,
Eric