Amanda-Users

Re: Recommendations for Implementation

2003-05-06 16:27:05
Subject: Re: Recommendations for Implementation
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: tech mail <tech-mail AT prupref DOT com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 16:22:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 4 May 2003 at 10:51pm, tech mail wrote

> 1 - does amanda handle simultaneous tape backups?

One config can do it via RAIT, but that probably won't help you.  You can
also run multiple configs to drive multiple tape drives.

> 2 - is there a better backup scheme we can employee?

Only you can answer that, really.

> 3 - what are the performance (compression/time) benchmarks for amanda as
> compared to other backup agents (ie backup-Exec)?

As someone else mentioned, you're bottleneck is almost certainly going to
be your WAN links.  Amanda uses tar or a vendor-specific dump to actually
get the bits off the disks, and (on request) uses gzip (--fast or --best,
configurable) on either the server or client end to do the compression.
Benchmarking those will give you an idea of speed.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering