Amanda-Users

Recommendations for Implementation

2003-05-04 23:58:48
Subject: Recommendations for Implementation
From: tech mail <tech-mail AT prupref DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 22:51:35 -0500
we are currently in the process of moving our NT backend to a samba PDC/BDC
authentication model.  The final piece for complete integration is backup
strategy.

I was wondering if I outline our requirements, if someone with a similar
situation (or good insight) could forward me to a howto or any documentation
that can make the rollout better.

We have 10 branch locations each serviced by approximately 1/2 T-1.  The
data stored at each location varies from 5GB to 15GB.  We currently use
Veritas Backup-Exec on a single machine with 4 Quantum DLT drives (20/40GB).
Jobs typically run simulataneousy, and some jobs take 30 hours some take 60
hours (dependent on backup size)

My questions are:

1 - does amanda handle simultaneous tape backups?
2 - is there a better backup scheme we can employee?
3 - what are the performance (compression/time) benchmarks for amanda as
compared to other backup agents (ie backup-Exec)?

Any insight on this would help me out tremendously.

Thanks

Chris McKeever