Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie: request for sample config file

2003-05-02 11:16:32
Subject: Re: Newbie: request for sample config file
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>, Jim Power <jim.power AT atip-usa DOT com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:11:29 -0400
On Fri May 2 2003 09:51, Eric Sproul wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 09:17, Jim Power wrote:
>> Eric,
>>
>> Thanks for the info.  I  already found the Tape Types list and
>> think I have found a tape type match.  I was actually looking
>> for a config file that resembled what will become mine.  (Single
>> tape drive, 30 Gig uncompressed to back up, 10 tapes to cycle
>> through, etc.)
>
>Jim,
>The way you want to run your backups (# of runs per cycle,
> tapes/run etc) will greatly influence your config.  Everyone's
> configs are different, and tend to be highly site-specific.
> Rather than plugging in someone else's config (which may or may
> not be right for you), it might be more beneficial in the long
> run if you seek to understand what each config parameter
> controls, so you can choose the best value for your situation.
> The sample config included with the software contains copious
> comments and helpful hints to get you started.
>
>The AMANDA chapter from O'Reilly's "UNIX Backup and Recovery" is
> online at http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html.  This is a
> great resource for understanding the config and figuring out what
> you want to accomplish.
>
>The most crucial options are dumpcycle (how long it takes to get
> through all your tapes)

Incorrect Eric.  Dumpcycle is how many days amanda has to do a full
on everything in the disklist.

Runspercycle is how many times in dumpcycle days/weeks/whatever that
amanda is run, If you don't run it on the weekends then
runspercycle would be 5/7ths of dumpcycle if dumpcycle is stated in
days.

> and tapecycle (the total number of tapes
> to be used). AMANDA will ensure that all of your filesystems get
> a full backup once per dumpcycle, and tapecycle lets AMANDA know
> when to cycle back around to the first tape.  The above
> documentation will help you compute your dumpcycle.

The rest of the description is correct.

>For example, I have a 24-slot changer, and I run AMANDA daily, so
> my dumpcycle is 24 days.  Since I want to keep as much history as
> possible (to the limit of my budget!), I choose to have a second
> set of 24 tapes, so I get to keep two complete dumpcycles (48
> days' worth).  This makes my tapecycle 48 tapes.

I run a 7 day dumpcycle, runspercycle is 7, runtapes is 1 and
tapecyle is 28, against a changer with 4 DDS2 tapes in its
magazine.  So I have at least 3 full backup generations on hand
even if amanda should write a bad tape.

What this does is demo how paranoid one wants to be, and neither
should be anything but an outline that the user can adjust his
around.  More an explanation of beliefs than anything else.

The difference between your method and mine is that you would need
24 tapes for a complete recovery, where here on my smaller home
system, I'd only need the last 7 at any one time.  That is once
amanda gets into balance again, I just broke 2 disklist entries up
into 4 since I'd noted one of them had been skipped as too big
twice during the last full dumpcycle.  By cutting the disklist
entrys down into 1/3rd of a tape, amanda should be able to arrive
at a workable schedule in about 2 dumpcycles.  Each of those two
entries contained 4 of the iso's for debian 3.0r1, my next linux
install, I'm tired of Red Hats continual sabotageing of kde.

But thats another rant entirely...

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: