Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie: request for sample config file

2003-05-02 09:01:30
Subject: Re: Newbie: request for sample config file
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Jim Power <jim.power AT atip-usa DOT com>
Date: 02 May 2003 08:57:37 -0400
On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 08:39, Jim Power wrote:
> I am using a Dell PowerEdge SC500 with internal DDS-4 tape drive(scsi)
> and RH8.  Does anyone have a configuration file for this or anything
> close?  I just want to see if I'm on the right track or not.

Jim,
If you haven't seen this already, check out
http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/91.html

This is part of the AMANDA FAQ-o-Matic, Tape-types sorted by generic
drive type (4mm DAT).  Look for drives where DDS4 media were used.
Should be something around 19-20 GB capacity without h/w compression.

You might want to look up the specs on your particular drive (Dell might
have that info), so you can choose a tapetype that closely resembles the
expected performance of your drive.

Once you've chosen a tapetype, watch your AMANDA reports and make sure
you're getting the performance you expect.  There are many knowledgeable
people on this list who will gladly help you tweak your config if you
run into problems.

Welcome!
Eric