Amanda-Users

drive compression discovery - I like dump :)

2003-03-12 18:20:09
Subject: drive compression discovery - I like dump :)
From: "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.Berkeley DOT EDU>
To: amanda-users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:04:03 -0800
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 02:34:13PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
---cut---
> >Current command is
> >
> ># dump 0udsf 49125 67854 /dev/nst0 /iarcvol
> >(I'm not primary on that system, I'm not really sure where
> > these values originated but have been involved in testing
> > tweeking them).
>
> Hoo boy, a dump user.  Ok all you dump experts, jump right in. :-)
> Me, I'm a tar user, so I have no idea what all those options might
> mean.

There's a very good discussion of dump options in W. Curtis Preston's
book (here's his example):

dump Ounbdsf 128 10000 11500 /dev/rmt/0cbn /home

0-9 dump level
u   update the dumpdates file
n   notify the members of the operator group when
    dump is completed
b   blocking factor
ds  tape size info (see below)
f   device specification

The example above uses

b   a blocking factor of 128
d   a density factor of  10000
s   a size factor of     11500

density refers to how much data will fit on one inch of tape
size    refers to the "tape" size in feet.

"In actual practice these options are very difficult to use and yeild
very little value."

YMMV.

Good luck!

--Steve Lane               /"\
  Doudna Lab               \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  U. C. Berkeley            X     Against HTML Email
                           / \