Amanda-Users

Re: level 0 of huge filesystem not working (tar returned 2, and the backup fails)

2003-03-12 18:19:29
Subject: Re: level 0 of huge filesystem not working (tar returned 2, and the backup fails)
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: wab <wab AT purdue DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:09:39 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 at 3:54pm, wab wrote

> One filesystem I'm trying to back up with AMANDA is really huge and I'm
> encountering errors:
>
> This filesystem is so huge, a level 0 is taking longer than 24 hours.
> Any ideas on what could be going wrong? My best guesses:
>
> 1. The filesystem is just too big for TAR.
> 2. The filesystem is so big, its contents are changing during the tar
> process and confusing it or amanda.

I backup several DLEs with tar that are rather large -- I think the
biggest one is nearly 80GB.  That one takes about 3 hours (no
compression).  Of course, that Linux server is rather fast.

> /-- <server>     /usr lev 0 FAILED [/usr/local/bin/tar returned 2]
> sendbackup: start [<server>:/usr level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/local/bin/tar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/local/bin/gzip -dc |/usr/local/bin/tar
> -f... -
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> ? gtar: Read error at byte 53808128, reading 10240 bytes, in file
> ./archive/www/access.0203.gz: I/O error

An I/O error is bad.  Look in your system logs for more info on that.

> ./opt/freeware/apache/share/htdocs/Library/easmenu.lbi.LCK: No such file
> or directory

The rest of the stuff, yes, has to do with tarring an active filesystem.

> Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Look into that I/O error.  Also, is this Solaris?  For whatever reason,
tar seems rather slow on Solaris (at least a lot of questions on this
list seem to point that way).  If that's a filesystem, could you try
dump?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering