Amanda-Users

Re: drive compression discovery

2003-03-13 07:27:16
Subject: Re: drive compression discovery
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:52:07 +0100
Brian Cuttler wrote:
I have one system, just one, that I do not run amanda on
but perform backups of. Its a Redhat Linux rel 7.2, code
name Inigma, kernel 2.4.9.3-1, with a DLT 8000 drive. We
are running out of tape during our nightly dump and can't
seem to figure out the correct drive parameters to either
use better blocking or turn on compression.

Are you bumping into End Of Tape, or is dump giving up
because it *thinks* it is at EOT?

Current command is

# dump 0udsf 49125 67854 /dev/nst0 /iarcvol
(I'm not primary on that system, I'm not really sure where
 these values originated but have been involved in testing
 tweeking them).

Only about 18 of the 25 gig make it to tape and a DLT8000
should have sufficient capacity to dump all the date with
room to spare.

I'm not a "dump" user (switched to gnutar since more than 7 years
ago, when I had to "restore" a backup from some exotic Unisys
dump format, and the last computer that had the OS was dead.)
so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I believe that if you leave out the "ds" together with both numbers
that the Linux-dump will detect EOT itself, instead of relying
on it's internal calculations.
You might add a "b" option and specify a larger blocksize;
Amanda uses 32k, other users reported faster throughput with
still larger blocksizes. Some experimention many years ago
reveiled to me that blocksize overhead has an effect on tape
capacity (but that was on QIC cartridges, the effect is different
on different hardware).

Also, make sure you verify the tape drive did not get into some
error state (see the syslog), just in case :-).
You could also, just as last verification, download the latest amanda
and run "amtapetype -e 35G" to verify that your setup can indeed
put that amount of bytes on your tapes.