Amanda-Users

Re: Q: troubles / my first backup with amanda

2003-03-04 09:12:05
Subject: Re: Q: troubles / my first backup with amanda
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Raúl Wild-Spain <rcruz AT wild-spain DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 22:57:17 +0100
Raúl Wild-Spain wrote:
Hi! recently I've installed amanda in a linux debian. By following an FAQ (or
the man page, I don't remember) I've created a hidden directory /.furvbackup
and into this multiple softlinks to the areas I want to backup.  Into disklist
I've:

    localhost    /.furvbackup    comp-high

1.  The FAQ also says to avoid the name "localhost"...
Use the real name!  (It works, but it will bite you
sooner or later.)

2.  From the dumptype "comp-high" I assume, you use DUMP
and not GNUTAR.  Is there a suitable "dump" program for
the filesystem that you have /.furvbackup on?  (e.g. if
it is a reiserfs, there is no such thing as reiserdump).
What does "amadmin yourconfig version" says about "DUMP"
and "RESTORE"?
BUT: you specified a subdirectory, and then you probably
want GNUTAR, because "dump" of a subdirectory is usually
not what you want (if your dump program can do it at all,
you can't make incremental backups with all dumps I know)
So you probably want "comp-high-tar".  (verify that
"amadmin yourconfig version" has a good value for "GNUTAR".)

3.  Are you aware that making a backup of a symlink does NOT
backup the file/dir where the symlink points to?  You full backup
probably is only a few K bytes in total;  not what you want
(unless you want to test just this case).
So you probably just want a list of entries in there: if
your /.furvbackup contains links to /home/john and /home/paul
and /bigdisk, then you want entries as:
  furv   /home/john     comp-high-tar
  furv   /home/paul     comp-high-tar
  furv   /bigdisk       comp-high-tar

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  localhost  /.furvbackup lev 0 FAILED [disk /.furvbackup offline on localhost?]

4. What did "amcheck" say?