Amanda-Users

Re: Excluding more than one file when backing up a windows client

2003-03-01 12:33:45
Subject: Re: Excluding more than one file when backing up a windows client
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Amanda <amanda AT gnosys DOT biz>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 10:44:31 -0500
On Sat March 1 2003 09:03, Amanda wrote:
>Thanks for your reply, Gene.
[...]
>> Sure.  AIUI, you can specify a file as the exclude list, and
>> this file then contains a list of the files you want to exclude,
>> stated in relative (./filename) format. Samba will I believe,
>> translate the backslash style of windows pathlist seperator into
>> a forward slash as used by the rest of the world, and if the
>> exclude list is a local list without translation, then an entry
>> in the list file of ./WIN386.SWP should exclude that file.
>> Similarly another liine with an entry of ./SendTo in that same
>> file should cause it (and all its subdirs) to be excluded.
>
>Well, no.  That works well for unix machines that run the native
> amanda client, but not for windows machines.  The docs come right
> out and address it in the file "docs/SAMBA" included with the
> amanda tarball.  When I actually try it, amcheck complains about
> it.
>
>> That is of course if I understand it correctly.  I don't have
>> such a situation here, and the gotchas of useing samba made an
>> rsync believer out of me, so I rsync to a local mirror of the
>> other machine, and backup that local directory, which works much
>> better than the hit or miss you get because samba doesn't
>> support the correct file dating info since it doesn't exist on a
>> M$ box in the first place.
>
>Could you be more specific about rsync?  I'm unfamiliar with that
> program. Can you maybe send me a pointer to more information
> about it?  Maybe I'll use it instead of smbclient.  How well does
> it handle restores?  The file "docs/SAMBA" also mentions that
> restoring from backup to a windows box is not ideal as smbclient
> apparently won't write over read-only files.
>
>I'd love to hear how other folks are backing up windows machines
> using amanda.
>
>Thanks in advance

rsync can be googled for, and there is quite a bit of tutorial
material out there.  Its also written by Andrew Tridgel(sp), the
main author of samba.  At the tv station I'm almost retired from,
we built a raid array of 360gb, and are using rsync to maintain
that, and I believe one of the machines thats covered is a W98
machine.  But I'd have to get with the IT guy there and see how he
is doing it before I'd offer any more details.  And I'm using it
here, but only linux box to linux box, not much help for you.

Operating as it does here, maintaining an image is done by only the
diffs being actually moved over the network, and it takes
relatively little time to cover the 4 main dirs on the firewall
box.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M