Amanda-Users

Re: Splitting a big directory (disklist question)

2003-01-30 12:13:16
Subject: Re: Splitting a big directory (disklist question)
From: Nick Russo <nick AT cs.uchicago DOT edu>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:24:03 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Chris Dahn wrote:

>   From the man page (of 2.4.2), it doesn't look like you can specify regular
> expressions for the diskdevice. Thus, linux, pics and mydocs are okay, but
> the others are failing (if I'm mistaken about this for 2.4.3, please correct
> me). You are correct, however, in using tar. You should just need to split
> those regular expressions into real directories that exist in /data/apps/.

I actually just did this a few weeks ago for one of the partitions
on our home directory fileserver. Now I have 80 more "diskdevices"
than I used to have ;)

In my case, it wasn't the size of the whole partition that was
prohibitive. Rather, I was getting a timeout error from tar, and
couldn't track down what file was causing it. So rather than lose
the whole partition each time as the tar failed, I split it into
80 little filesystems, and now each one gets backed up independently,
except, of course, for the one which is causing the error.

The only drawback I see is that my disklist file and my email reports
are longer, but it seems worth it to me.

Nick

 Nick Russo   email: nick AT cs.uchicago DOT edu   phone: 773.702.3438
    Computer Science Department   The University of Chicago
     Associate Director of Computing Systems, Systems Lead