Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple Tapes

2003-01-14 17:33:42
Subject: Re: Multiple Tapes
From: Aaron Smith <asmith AT nexcerpt DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 14 Jan 2003 16:46:57 -0500
The only problem with that is that the same changer-script uses BOTH
config files.  Therefore, it stands to reason that if a comment in one
config file caused the changer-script to bomb, then the same comment in
the other file would cause the changer-script to bomb.
        All I'm looking to do is change my setup so that instead of
cycling
through 7 tapes, using one tape per run, to cycle through 8 tapes and
use 2 tapes per run...
On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 03:59, Christoph Scheeder wrote:
> Hi,
> first thing i would try is removing every comments from your new
> config files. Sometimes the amanda changer-scripts just don't like them.
> Christoph
>
> Aaron Smith schrieb:
> > Ok.  I think I have a simple configuration error here. I'm running
> > amanda 2.4.2p2 on Redhat 7.2.  I have a Sony TSL-11000 tape changer that
> > holds 8 DDS4 tapes.  Up until now, I've run Amanda once a night, with a
> > dumpcycle of 1 day, runspercycle of 1 day, runtapes of 1,
> > and a tapecycle of 7 tapes.  This worked out to a full backup, every
> > night, with one tape for each day of the week.  No problems, worked like
> > a charm. Well, lately, the amount of backups has exceeded the capacity
> > of a single tape.  However, since no partition is larger than a single
> > tape, spreading the various backup images across two tapes should be no
> > problem.
> > So, I added an eighth tape to the set (which are all labeled
> > Tape01-Tape08), increased the tapecycle to 8 tapes, and increased the
> > runtapes to 2.  Up until this point, each tape was in the slot that
> > corresponded to it's number.  i.e. Tape01 in slot 1, Tape02 in slot 2,
> > etc, with a cleaning tape in slot 8.  Therefore, changer.conf had
> > firstslot=1, lastslot=7, cleanslot=8, and AUTOCLEAN=1.
> > When I added the eight tape, I edited the changer.conf to read
> > firstslot=1, lastslot=8, commented out cleanslot, and set AUTOCLEAN to
> > 0.
> > So far, Amanda seems to be having trouble finding the second tape for
> > the run.  The first time it ran after the change, it was planning on
> > using Tape07 and Tape08.  It dumped everything (except for one larger
> > partition which just FAILed) to Tape08 and claimed that Tape07 wasn't in
> > the rack.  The next run, it was planning on using Tape07 and Tape01.
> > This time, it dumped everything (except that same, larger partition) to
> > Tape07 and claimed it couldn't find Tape01.
> >     It looks like it's having trouble scanning through the tapes in the
> > changer.  With the old configuration files in place, I can do an "amtape
> > Config show" and it will run through the first seven slots (remember
> > that the old changer.conf was configured for slots 1 thru 7) and print
> > the tape labels and dates like normal.  If I then copy the new, modified
> > files into place, do an "amtape Config reset" and then re-issue "amtape
> > Config show" it will show me the label and date for the tape in slot 1
> > (which was already loaded) but then for all the rest, the changer loads
> > the tapes, but amtape shows this error:
> > "slot /usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx:: no tape online"
> >     Also, with the older configs, I can issue "amtape Config slot 3" and it
> > will unload whatever tape it has, then load slot 3 and be just fine.  If
> > I try that with the modified files in place, I get:
> > "amtape: could not rewind [: #9: integer expression expected: no tape
> [...]
Aaron Smith                             vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director                        fax: 269.349.9076
Nexcerpt, Inc.                          http://www.nexcerpt.com

        ...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise