Amanda-Users

Multiple Tapes

2003-01-13 17:56:35
Subject: Multiple Tapes
From: Aaron Smith <asmith AT nexcerpt DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: 13 Jan 2003 17:00:03 -0500
Ok.  I think I have a simple configuration error here. I'm running
amanda 2.4.2p2 on Redhat 7.2.  I have a Sony TSL-11000 tape changer that
holds 8 DDS4 tapes.  Up until now, I've run Amanda once a night, with a
dumpcycle of 1 day, runspercycle of 1 day, runtapes of 1,
and a tapecycle of 7 tapes.  This worked out to a full backup, every
night, with one tape for each day of the week.  No problems, worked like
a charm. Well, lately, the amount of backups has exceeded the capacity
of a single tape.  However, since no partition is larger than a single
tape, spreading the various backup images across two tapes should be no
problem.
So, I added an eighth tape to the set (which are all labeled
Tape01-Tape08), increased the tapecycle to 8 tapes, and increased the
runtapes to 2.  Up until this point, each tape was in the slot that
corresponded to it's number.  i.e. Tape01 in slot 1, Tape02 in slot 2,
etc, with a cleaning tape in slot 8.  Therefore, changer.conf had
firstslot=1, lastslot=7, cleanslot=8, and AUTOCLEAN=1.
When I added the eight tape, I edited the changer.conf to read
firstslot=1, lastslot=8, commented out cleanslot, and set AUTOCLEAN to
0.
So far, Amanda seems to be having trouble finding the second tape for
the run.  The first time it ran after the change, it was planning on
using Tape07 and Tape08.  It dumped everything (except for one larger
partition which just FAILed) to Tape08 and claimed that Tape07 wasn't in
the rack.  The next run, it was planning on using Tape07 and Tape01.
This time, it dumped everything (except that same, larger partition) to
Tape07 and claimed it couldn't find Tape01.
        It looks like it's having trouble scanning through the tapes in the
changer.  With the old configuration files in place, I can do an "amtape
Config show" and it will run through the first seven slots (remember
that the old changer.conf was configured for slots 1 thru 7) and print
the tape labels and dates like normal.  If I then copy the new, modified
files into place, do an "amtape Config reset" and then re-issue "amtape
Config show" it will show me the label and date for the tape in slot 1
(which was already loaded) but then for all the rest, the changer loads
the tapes, but amtape shows this error:
"slot /usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx:: no tape online"
        Also, with the older configs, I can issue "amtape Config slot 3" and it
will unload whatever tape it has, then load slot 3 and be just fine.  If
I try that with the modified files in place, I get:
"amtape: could not rewind [: #9: integer expression expected: no tape
onlineamtape: changed to slot /usr/lib/amanda/chg-zd-mtx: on [: #9:
integer expression expected"
        I have verified (via diff) that the ONLY differences between the older
2 files and newer 2 files are the changes I made to accomodate the new
number of tapes.  Did I configure those options incorrectly somehow?

Aaron Smith                             vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director                        fax: 269.349.9076
Nexcerpt, Inc.                          http://www.nexcerpt.com

        ...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise