Amanda-Users

Re: why is tapetype so slow?

2003-01-14 17:30:35
Subject: Re: why is tapetype so slow?
From: "Michael J. Pawlowsky" <mikejp AT videotron DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:47:17 -0500
>However, the first pass of tapetype took 304793 seconds to write
>"3513152 32Kb blocks in 103328 files", which is a paltry 368 KB/s.  That
>is a large discrepancy in expected vs. actual performance.
>
>Eric

There are other factors. What else is the machine doing? Does the bus support
that speed etc.

My HP-SureStore-DLT 40i is rated at 1.5 Mb/s which is 5.4 Gb an hour.
In uncompressed mode (which is how you are suppose run tapetype) it took 8
hours to do a type.
Which is about right for 2 passes at 20Gb each pass.

I'm using the RPMs that are on RedHat.

Mike

Cheers,
Mike
Hlade's Law:    If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --
                they will find an easier way to do it.