Amanda-Users

why is tapetype so slow?

2003-01-14 14:09:07
Subject: why is tapetype so slow?
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 13:33:03 -0500
Hi,
I've been trying to run tapetype to get a reading on a new Compaq
SDLT320 drive with 110/220 tapes.  There are no tapetype definitions
that I could find for this combination.  I knew it would take a while
(the last person to post an SDLT tapetype said it took him 2.5 days),
but it took tapetype 3.5 days to write 112GB in the "short write" pass.
Now it has started over with another pass and I fear I'm looking at
another 3.5 days of waiting.  Why is this?

Thanks,
Eric