Amanda-Users

Re: why is tapetype so slow?

2003-01-14 14:39:01
Subject: Re: why is tapetype so slow?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:56:08 -0500
On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:33:03PM -0500, Eric Sproul wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been trying to run tapetype to get a reading on a new Compaq
> SDLT320 drive with 110/220 tapes.  There are no tapetype definitions
> that I could find for this combination.  I knew it would take a while
> (the last person to post an SDLT tapetype said it took him 2.5 days),
> but it took tapetype 3.5 days to write 112GB in the "short write" pass.
> Now it has started over with another pass and I fear I'm looking at
> another 3.5 days of waiting.  Why is this?

Because something is wrong or you have a very old version of tapetype.

Your drive specs will include a speed rating, in MB/sec probably.
Divide that into your tape's rated capacity to get an approximation
of how long it will take to write a complete tape.  Tapetype should
take about twice as long as it makes 2 passes.

Be sure in your calculation that you use matching speed and capacity
numbers.  Matching in the sense of both refering to HW compression on
or both refering to HW compression off.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)