Amanda-Users

Re: 2.4.3 amandad time outs PLEASE HELP!

2003-01-08 22:25:09
Subject: Re: 2.4.3 amandad time outs PLEASE HELP!
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: tammy <tammy AT subverge DOT com>, Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:49:03 -0500
On Wednesday 08 January 2003 20:22, tammy wrote:
>Hi
>
>Thanks so much! With your help turning on debugging, I was able to
> find that clients couldn't respond to the server. This didn't
> show up in any logs anywhere, only gleaned this from the detailed
> amanda logging:( This led me back to rereading the
> troubleshooting page
>(http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/16.html)... the
> very
>
>last item on this page was the answer:
>> Keep in mind also that amanda uses random ports < 1024 on the
>> server when servicing remote clients.
>> For instance on Red Hat 7.1 I needed a line like this one in
>> /etc/sysconfig/ipchains:
>> -A input -s {client IP address}/32 -d 0/0 0:1024 -p udp -j
>> ACCEPT or prepend 'ipchains ' to the above for a command line
>> version. kronenpj AT netzero DOT net
>
>Shouldn't ipchains write something to some log somewhere on
> denying requests? :(

There may be an option to turn it on someplace, but I have no first
hand knowledge as I run the newer iptables.  Its also similarly
silent on mmy machine, with the only denials being logged actually
coming from portsentry-1.1 which automaticly writes, and applies
the iptables rules when it detects an attack. Same for
tcp_wrappers, portsentry can handle both.  And the hackers have
been busy this week, my gateway has rejected 43 attempts since the
log-rotation Sunday morning, this on a demand-dialup lashup. My
/etc/hosts.deny looks a bit like the LA phone book, but its had
neary 5 years to accumulate :-)

You may want to see if there is a 'security' log in /var/log just in
case its bypassing the syslog daemon.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M