Amanda-Users

Re: 2.4.3 amandad time outs PLEASE HELP!

2003-01-08 21:25:58
Subject: Re: 2.4.3 amandad time outs PLEASE HELP!
From: tammy <tammy AT subverge DOT com>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:22:58 -0800
Hi

Thanks so much! With your help turning on debugging, I was able to find that clients couldn't respond to the server. This didn't show up in any logs anywhere, only gleaned this from the detailed amanda logging:( This led me back to rereading the troubleshooting page (http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/16.html)... the very last item on this page was the answer:

Keep in mind also that amanda uses random ports < 1024 on the server when servicing remote clients. For instance on Red Hat 7.1 I needed a line like this one in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains:
-A input -s {client IP address}/32 -d 0/0 0:1024 -p udp -j ACCEPT
or prepend 'ipchains ' to the above for a command line version.
kronenpj AT netzero DOT net

Shouldn't ipchains write something to some log somewhere on denying requests? :(

thank so much for your help