Amanda-Users

Re: Tapeless Backup Documentation - call for volunteers

2003-01-02 13:48:28
Subject: Re: Tapeless Backup Documentation - call for volunteers
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 18:13:02 +0000
On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 12:15:26PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> There are messages similar to the following,
> posted frequently to the amanda-users list:
>
>   There is not much documentation in setting up AMANDA
>   to be backuped up to a Hard Drive.  I checked web sites,
>   the MAN pages, the mailing lists.
>
>   And three weeks of trying to do this on my own, I need help.
>
> I know some of you are using this feature.
> Anyone care to volunteer to write a HOW-TO
> that might be added to our documentation "library".
>
> You would gain fame and fortune (well fame anyway,
> among a small elite group of appreciative readers).

There is a sort of howto out there, but it's not perfect. I'd be willing to
write it, perhaps in cooperation with somebody(ies) else. However, I know my
method is sub optimal. I use some shell script hacking in my daily amdump
script and I know the "right" way to do this is with a customised changer
script. If anyone out there who has done that, but doesn't have the time or
inclination to write the howto, would care to pass on details to me I'd be
happy to oblige.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin