Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover fails *again*

2002-11-20 22:44:43
Subject: Re: amrecover fails *again*
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: rtilley AT vt DOT edu, Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:06:23 -0500
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 16:23, Richard B. Tilley (Brad) wrote:
>Thanks for the smart response.
>
>I'll just stick with my manual method of restoring as I don't have
> time to change a src file (that I don't currently have) and
> recompile. Besides, my method works... it's amanda's method that
> doesn't work, but no one seems to care about that.

First off, Jon was being nice IMO, and the chances are very, very
good that what he wrote will indeed fix your problem.  FYI,
probably 98% of the amanda users on this list DO build from source,
and that source is about 5 minutes away on a 56k line, see the link
that leads of Jean-Louis's page on a umontreal.ca machine, on
http://www.amanda.org quite a ways down the page.  He keeps the
most recent snapshots all tar-balled up and ready to go.  However,
I've observed that probably 25% of the messages here were generated
by someone who downloaded a set of rpms of amanda someplace, and
they may, or may not have been, compiled with the same options one
normally uses when compiling amanda.  That BTW, is about a 3 minute
job on this 1400mhz athlon.  You can't install the rpms using your
favorite gui much faster than that.

>Read The Fucking Manual punk. My balls are bigger than yours punk
> so don't bother me. Do what the error message says dog-breath
> before I squash you with my 64-bit souped-up, compiled the
> compiler ... yadah yadah yadah

Oh, my.  Does your mother know you use such language?  If she does
know, I'd wager she isn't the least bit proud of it.  One should
always keep in mind that old adage that says 'its not the size of
the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog that
counts'.

>Now, I wonder why Open Source and Free Software aren't more main
> stream?

With an attitude like what you are displaying here, how did you ever
get yourself convinced you should even try anything with an
opensource label on it?  To me, thats the 64k$ question.

Opensource is an attitude, and you obviously don't have it.

Opensource is a willingness to dig in and fix it if your are capable
of it when its not running to your likeing.  If you aren't capable
of it, then at least give the instructions offered a chance to fix
the problem before you come in here and bad-mouth someone who is
honestly trying to help.  Who knows, while walking around in the
code looking for where Jon said to increase that timeout, you might
actually (heaven forbid) learn something!  Or have you, with a
fresh sheepskin on the wall, now decided you know it all?  Funny
thing, a holder of a very prestigious sheepskin, and publisher of a
rag pretty much delegated to the embedded scene once told me that
at the end of the day, the most important sheepskin was the one you
slept on.

Opensource is a mailing list such as this, where you can ask
questions, and get answers within hours, sometimes minutes, and
certainly 6 months faster that you can from Redmond, and do it
without having to pony up another $200 for the latest upgrade to
their bugfarm.  Opensource is the willingness to share with any and
all, the fruits of the work you do simply because you're proud of
your work, thereby making the whole scene a better place to live.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M