Amanda-Users

Re: chg-scsi and Quantum SuperLoader SDLT 3520L

2002-11-20 22:53:13
Subject: Re: chg-scsi and Quantum SuperLoader SDLT 3520L
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Damon Conway <damon AT 3jane DOT net>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:22:07 -0500
On Wednesday 20 November 2002 17:10, Damon Conway wrote:
>Hello all,
>I've been wrestling with chg-scsi and my Quantum changer all day.
> Here are the specs:
>
>Red Hat 8.0 w/ kernel 2.4.18
>Quantum SuperLoader SDLT 3520L
>Amanda 2.4.3
>
>If I set changerdev to /dev/sg0 and dev to /dev/nst0, I get this:
>
># sudo /usr/local/libexec/chg-scsi -info
>Can't get ElementStatus
>#
>
>I can't find anything on that error in the list archives,
> searching Google, or looking in the docs (TAPE.CHANGERS or
> FAQ-O-MATIC). According to /proc/scsi/sg/device*, /dev/sg0 is
> "QUANTUM  SuperDLT1 2A2A".  I'm assuming that the error means
> that it can't talk to the device.

One thing that can trip up the unwary is that, depending on the
drive, the changer robot may be at the same bus address as the
drive, but is lun=1 where the drive is lun=0.  Thats the case here
at my place.

The tripup is that the stock kernel dos not AFAIK, do a "scan all
luns" at startup, thereby missing the changer robot.  This is an
option you may have to turn on and rebuild the kernel to make work
if thats the case with your changer.

Also, look at /var/log/dmesg, where one should see something like
this:
---------
[...]
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : AdvanSys SCSI 3.3G: PCI Ultra: IO 0xD000-0xD00F, IRQ 0xB
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Vendor: ARCHIVE   Model: 4586XX 28887-XXX  Rev: 0420
  Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: CREATIVE  Model: CD-RW RW1210E     Rev: LCS6
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
st: Version 20020805, bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. bufs 4,
s/g segs 16
Attached scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 1,  type 8
Note the last line above.  Same address, but different, non-zero
lun, as the 'scsi tape st0' a few lines above it.  Use these
detected device names in your .conf files, except of course you
want to make the st0 into nst0 since you don't want the automatic
rewind, never use it with amanda.

And thats my $0.02. :-)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M