Amanda-Users

amrecover fails *again*

2002-11-20 12:07:00
Subject: amrecover fails *again*
From: "Richard B. Tilley (Brad)" <rtilley AT vt DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:28:41 -0500
No one answered my first post. So here's a brief reminder.

--------------------------------------
I use NTBACKUP to copy the entire 'Documents and Settings' directory on the
Windows PC to a file. This file may be as large as 2 Gigabytes (almost, but
not quite).

Amanda copies the files OK and amverify can read all the files successfully.
However, amrecover fails when trying to restore the large files, the error
message is below:

timeout waiting for amrestore
increase READ_TIMEOUT in  recover-src/extract_list.c if your tape is slow
amrecover: error reading tape: Bad file descriptor
extract_list - child returned non-zero status:1
Continue? [Y/n]: amrecover>

I can restore the files with native Unix utilities (mt, dd and tar) below is a
step by step method of how I do this, but I would like for amrecover to be
able to restore these files... Any suggestions?

   1.  mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
   2.  cd to /scratch2/ftp_root
   3.  mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1
   4.  dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1
   5.  repeat 3 & 4 until finding the header that I would like to restore.
   6.  once finding the correct header I do this: dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k |
/bin/tar -xvf -