Amanda-Users

Re: DAT hardware or software compression

2002-11-20 09:52:03
Subject: Re: DAT hardware or software compression
From: marc.bigler AT day DOT com
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:17:40 +0100
Thanks for your quick answer. Ok it sounds clear to me that all points to
the advantages of having software compression. I will then disable hardware
compression.

Regards
Marc

                    Joshua               To:     marc.bigler AT day DOT com

                    Baker-LePain         cc:     amanda-users AT amanda DOT org

                    <jlb17 AT duke DOT ed       Subject:     Re: DAT hardware
or software compression
                    u>

                    11/20/02 02:52

                    PM

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 at 2:13pm, marc.bigler AT day DOT com wrote

> I have got here a DDS-3 tape drive which has per default hardware
> compression enabled and was wondering what is the best deal with AMANDA.
> Would you guys suggest hardware compression or should I disable hardware
> compression and have software compression done for example with gzip ?

It's personal preference, really.  If you've got the cycles, software
compression is generally better and (depending on CPU power of course)
faster than hardware.  It also allows amanda to better plan, as it knows
*exactly* how big your tapes are and can keep a history of compression
levels.  Hardware compression, well, takes load off your server and/or
clients, but you have to lie to amanda about your tapelength.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering