Amanda-Users

Re: DAT hardware or software compression

2002-11-25 11:44:16
Subject: Re: DAT hardware or software compression
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Sven Rudolph <rudsve AT drewag DOT de>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:58:06 -0500
On Monday 25 November 2002 10:20, Sven Rudolph wrote:
[...]
>OK, I was thinking about DLT7000 (5MB/s) and SuperDLT (11MB/s).

Ahh, at 10 to 25x faster, thats a whole ´nother animal in that case.
:-)

>Unfortunately I currently cannot create numbers on bzip2
>compression/decompression time ...
>
>> OTOH, how often would that inconvienience actually occur?
>> Recovery, while it should be done as quickly as possible, isn´t
>> such a part of the normal daily routine that one has to optimize
>> it to the lowest common denominator just to accumulate saved
>> time.
>
>Restoring some particular files (due to user error) happens about
> once a week. Here decompression time isn't critical unless you
> hit a level0 backup.

I see.  User errors I can see when you have other, non-technical
users.  Here, I´m it, and it tends to be for crash recovery.  Like
artsd died, and when I clicked on the OK button to clear the
advisory, the machine was locked, taskbar clock stopped, the whole
maryann.  Hit the hardware reset.  On reboot, e2fsck cleared about
400,000 inodes on the / partition.  Recover maybe, but not of / as
it wasn´t yet fully backed up from the last rebuild, so a full
reinstall was 2 days quicker.  And thats the third time artsd has
died and took the machine with it.  Its a POC.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M