Amanda-Users

Re: DAT hardware or software compression

2002-11-20 09:35:01
Subject: Re: DAT hardware or software compression
From: "Richard B. Tilley (Brad)" <rtilley AT vt DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:04:56 -0500
HW compression is more efficient and less CPU intense, but if you're drives
fail you must have extra drives in order to read the tapes as HW compression
is usually performed by proprietary hardware.

SW compression is hard on you CPU(s), but much more portable. Gzip can be read
anywhere on most any platform. If you have more than one CPU, you should
consider SW compression.