Amanda-Users

Re: DAT hardware or software compression

2002-11-20 09:46:36
Subject: Re: DAT hardware or software compression
From: Christoph Scheeder <christoph.scheeder AT scheeder DOT de>
To: marc.bigler AT day DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:11:41 +0100
Hi,
with amanda most people use softwarecompression for some reasons:
1.) amanda has full knowledge and control over tape-capacity
2.) gzip is much better in compressing data
3.) you can decide if a disklist entry should be compressed or not
    (imagine a partition full of gif's. if you try to compress them,
    their size will increase...)
4.) if you backup hosts over the network, amanda can do client-side
    compression, reducing the trafic on the net.
Christoph

marc.bigler AT day DOT com schrieb:
Hello,

I have got here a DDS-3 tape drive which has per default hardware
compression enabled and was wondering what is the best deal with AMANDA.
Would you guys suggest hardware compression or should I disable hardware
compression and have software compression done for example with gzip ?

Regards
Marc