Amanda-Users

Re: amanda support

2002-11-13 14:34:15
Subject: Re: amanda support
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <cmartin AT rateintegration DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 14:01:24 -0500
On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 17:35, Frank Smith wrote:

>  Then again, I may be underestimating
> the number of PHB's in the world.

Trust me, you are.  Almost every suit I know of would want
"professional" support.  (Software) Engineering is the lifeblood of this
company, and I work for Engineering, so I'm pretty insulated.  The
minute IT support gets divorced from software development, which is
likely to happen if we grow big, I will face this same sort of
incredibly stupid issue.

>    Possibly one of the consultants that pop up occasionally on this list will
> offer to take your money in exchange for posting to the list if you have any
> problems.

Indeed, but if he or she doesn't work for a large, reputable, well known
firm it won't matter.  If, OTOH, IBM supported amanda, it would suddenly
be golden even if nothing else changed.  IBM and other corporate support
of Linux has had a lot to do with it's acceptance in the corporate
world.

Yeah, I know, it's stupid.  As a former IT Director who decided
management just wasn't for her any more, I know.  I used to have to
fight these battles.

Regards,
Caity
back to being an overworked UNIX sysadmin