Amanda-Users

Re: crash recovery

2002-11-11 08:57:25
Subject: Re: crash recovery
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:20:18 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 at 4:36am, Gene Heskett wrote

> Anyway, the advise on how to recover useing tar & gzip doesn't seem
> to want to work.  The only way to get dd to actually write a disk
> file is with dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k of=tape.contents.# where the #
> is a sequence # extension in /tmp.  And that only works if an 'mt
> tell' says its at block 64.

Don't forget to skip over the amanda header:

dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 of=tape.file.1

> The worst part is that without any indexes, or a disklist (which
> wouldn't be valid now anyway) I've N.D.I. whats been gzipped and
> what hasn't.  My disklist was, shall we say, an eclectic mixture.

Oh, then in that case you want the header, which tells you exactly how to
recover the image, including whether or not you need to uncompress:

dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k count=1 of=tape.file.1.header
dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k of=tape.file.1

Also remember that the first "file" on the tape is just the tape label.
So 'mt fsf 1' to get to the first actual dump image.

Good luck Gene.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering