Amanda-Users

Re: crash recovery

2002-11-11 20:42:48
Subject: Re: crash recovery
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:19:55 -0500
On Monday 11 November 2002 08:20, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 at 4:36am, Gene Heskett wrote
>
>> Anyway, the advise on how to recover useing tar & gzip doesn't
>> seem to want to work.  The only way to get dd to actually write
>> a disk file is with dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k of=tape.contents.#
>> where the # is a sequence # extension in /tmp.  And that only
>> works if an 'mt tell' says its at block 64.
>
>Don't forget to skip over the amanda header:
>
>dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 of=tape.file.1

In fact, that recomndation to skip=1 was exactly what was wrong
Joshua.  Removing that, then the tape doesn't have to be
repositioned after reading the header to see if its compressed or
not.  So the sequence I'm running at the moment is:

"dd if=/dev/nst0 count=1"

read the output to see where to cd to, and if its compressed.
if its compressed, then:
"dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32 |tar -xzvf -"

or if its not compressed, then:
"dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32 |tar -xvf -"

When thats done, read the next header and repeat.  I've 4 tapes to
go and will be back to 10/27/02

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M