Amanda-Users

Re: disk-to-disk backups

2002-09-26 16:08:43
Subject: Re: disk-to-disk backups
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Terri Eads <eads AT rap.ucar DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:53:49 -0500
--On Thursday, September 26, 2002 13:18:53 -0600 Terri Eads <eads AT rap.ucar DOT
edu> wrote:

We're considering doing our backups to raid systems
now instead of to tape libraries. Does anyone have
any positive or negative comments or experiences
with the scenario that they are willing to share?

(and is this even possible with amanda?)

It is possible with the newer beta versions.  However,
it does make offsite storage for disaster recovery difficult.
Also, even with raid arrays mirrored across two controllers
it is still possible to lose all of your backups.  A single
raid controller can definitely trash all your data if it
fails (it has happened to me).  Even more likely is an 'oops',
either a script run amok or operator error.
 That doesn't mean don't do it, just that you should evaluate
all the issues relative to how they fit into your disaster
recovery plan.

Frank

Thanks,
--
Terri Eads              UNIX Systems Administrator
eads AT ucar DOT edu            Research Applications Program

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com