Amanda-Users

Re: newbie needs help deciphering vauge error message

2002-09-20 10:28:04
Subject: Re: newbie needs help deciphering vauge error message
From: "John P. Looney" <valen AT tuatha DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:17:52 +0100
On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:52:47AM -0400, Jon LaBadie mentioned:
> I don't have a Sparc system with which to try things on.  I did note
> the pkgmap list showing the bin, not root suid, and planned to mention
> that to him.  Glad to see it is a real problem and I would not have been
> whistiling in the wind.

 Phew. I was hoping it wasn't completely my fault!

> >  Is there some way I can find out which directories it's looking for
> > .amandahosts ? I've already su'd to the amanda user, and catted this file,
> > so amcheck *should* be able to view it.
>
> Ummm, directories in .amandahosts?  That should be a file, not a directory.
> I think it should also be owned by amanda_user and permissions 600 otherwise
> it is not looked at.  In the file, list the tapehost by fqdn I believe.

 Ah, by directories, I meant what directories does amanda search for
.amandahosts in (apart from ~amanda).

 I think it's all fine, as far as I can tell - (it had been working
previously). I had problems previously where ~amanda/../.. didn't have
execute access, and I only found this when I su'd to amanda and tryed to
cat ~amanda/.amandahosts, and it failed.

 I can cat it now, fine. So the permissions *look* fine.

root@bart /# su - amanda
bash-2.02$ ls -l ~amanda/.amandahosts
-rw-------   1 amanda   amanda        50 Sep 19 15:44
/space/dumps/.amandahosts