Amanda-Users

Re: dumpcycle-runspercycle-tapecycle

2002-09-11 13:32:33
Subject: Re: dumpcycle-runspercycle-tapecycle
From: "Anne M. Hammond" <hammond AT solarz.Colorado DOT EDU>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:17:05 -0600
On Wed Sep 11,  6:52am Gene Heskett wrote:
>But with only 7 tapes, there is a possibility of over-writing the
>last full of that disklist entry with only an incremental as
>amanda gets the scheduling adjusted.  No one here would
>recommend only 7 tapes, the murphy style disaster is
>inevitable...
>
>You need at least 14, and I have 20 in my own rotation, so I'm
>always assured that there are at least 2 fulls available in the
>unlikely event a disk goes belly up on me.

I asked Gene for hise amanda.conf entries, which are:

dumpcycle 1 week
runspercycle 7
tapecycle 20

Using this configuration, I understand amanda will schedule
a level 0 each week (dumpcycle).  At any one time, you would
have 3 level 0 dumps (in case of tape error, or a dump could
not be restored).

So tapecycle does not need to be a multiple of dumpcycle or
runspercycle?

It's not quite clear what amanda.conf recommends the "extra"
tapes in the tapecycle are for--after amanda has been through
one cycle of the tapes, there are really no more "extra" tapes??

amanda.conf:
tapecycle 19 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
                        # cycle

TIA<Anne Hammond
University of Colorado at Boulder