Amanda-Users

Re: ???

2002-09-09 17:45:31
Subject: Re: ???
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:29:54 -0400
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 04:39:29PM -0400, Galen Johnson wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>  I'm curious about the way amanda backs up.
        [ snip ]

> Which side is right (the wheat or frosted ;-) )?  I don't know why I'm
> having so much trouble with this but I suspect it's information overload.

Frosted!!

A single amdump does all disklist entries to a single tape (unless it
overflows and is allowed to use more tapes per run -- runtapes param).

When using tar, a disklist entry may be the mount directory of a file system
(aka partition) or the starting directory of a sub-tree of the file system.
In the latter case, multiple entries are needed to backup the entire fs.

> Also,  I currently am using a 7 tape changer (which I think I have mtx
> talking to nicely but with some small eccentricities).   I currently
> have it setup as follows:
>
> dumpcycle 1 week
> runspercycle 6
> tapecycle 7 tapes

Absolute barest minimum for your tapecycle.  Not recommended.

Later you say you are rotating three magazines of seven tapes each.
In that case your tapecycle could be 21.

> runtapes 1  #I'm thinking of upping this to 2 or 3

Not with tapecycle 7!

> tpchanger "chg-scsi"    # not sure about this yet

Maybe chg-mtx as it seems to be working?

> tapedev "/dev/nst0"
> rawtapedev "/dev/null"
> changerdev "/dev/sg0"
> tapetype EXB-EZ17
>
> where EXB-EZ17 is defined by:
>
> define tapetype EXB-EZ17 {
>   comment "just produced by tapetype program"

You are free, and expected, to edit the comment
to something more meaningful and informative :)

>   length 18600 mbytes
>   filemark 623 kbytes
>   speed 2137 kps
> }
>

> [ snip ] ... .  I followed Gene's advice and made
> myself a build script (since I found myself building and rebuilding as I
> came across new material).  It's as follows:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # Since I'm always forgetting to build it as the amanda user
> if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
>        echo
>        echo "WARNING!!!!"
>        echo "AMANDA needs to be configured and built by the amanda user,"
>        echo "but must be installed by root."
>        echo
>        exit 1
> fi
> make clean

If doing a new configure, a make clean does not, IIRC, clean out the previous
configure's cache.  Do a make "distclean" instead.

> rm -f config.status config.cache

Oh, maybe this would be sufficient instead of the distclean.  I haven't tried
it.
Nevermind.

> ./configure --prefix=/home/amanda \

I have some environment params that need to be set.  These can be done
in front of the "./configure" like:

CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc \
LDFLAGS=... \
CFLAGS=... \
./configure ... \

Don't know if you will need them or not, but it makes my
redo of a configure easier.  I don't have to remember to
set and export them if they are not already done in amanda
user's environment.

>            --libdir=/usr/local/lib/amanda \
>            --mandir=/usr/local/man \
>            --with-user=amanda \
>            --with-group=disk \
>            --with-config=daily \
>            --with-configdir=/home/amanda/config \
>            --with-gnutar=/home/amanda/bin/tar \
>            --with-gnutar-listdir=/home/amanda/var \
>            --with-changer-device=/dev/sg0 \
>            --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
>            --with-amandahosts \
>            --with-gnu-ld \
>            --with-db=db \
>            --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg
>
> # Create directories that aren't created by make
> if [ ! -d /home/amanda/var ]; then
>        mkdir /home/amanda/var
> fi
>
> if [ ! -d /home/amanda/config ]; then
>        mkdir /home/amanda/config
> fi

Would that we were all so organized :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)