Amanda-Users

Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi -- adjusted comment

2002-09-09 01:58:37
Subject: Re: HP Colorado, ide-scsi -- adjusted comment
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 01:44:16 -0400
On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:40:54AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 06:07:49PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 September 2002 11:59, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > >
> > >The second part of my question was what percentage is reserved?
> > >The default is 100%.  I.e. 100% reserved for incrementals,
> > >therefore none of those 26GB for level 0's and thus forced
> > > degraded mode.
> >
> > Whats the syntax to setup say a 8 gig reserve for level 0's, eg
> > about half what I have for holding right now.
>
> It's reserve "for incrementals", not for level 0's.
> The parameter is a percentage, not an amount.
>
> In your case I guess:
>
>       reserve 50
>
> Would not let level 0's use MORE THAN 8GB of 16GB.
> Any scheduled level 0's beyond that would switch to degraded mode.

Adjusting my own comments.  I think this is more accurate.  Amanda
checks at the beginning of amdump the amount of holding disk space
available.  Then notes the reserve amount.  Say there are 10GB of
available space and 30% reserve, then 3GB is the reserved amount.

How does this kick in.  A dump goes into degraded mode when it can't
write to tape. This can be for several reasons, eg. no tape in drive,
i/o error, "runtapes" number of tapes already full, ...
I was in error saying degraded mode means level 0's become incrementals.

In degraded mode, a level 0 will still be collected on the holding IF
it will not reduce the amount of holding disk below the reserve.
If it would reduce the holding disk space too much (i.e. below the
reserve) it goes to an incremental level.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)