Amanda-Users

Re: special backupcase

2002-09-05 11:52:02
Subject: Re: special backupcase
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Thomas Kirk <thomas AT arkena DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:25:35 -0400
On Thursday 05 September 2002 08:34, Thomas Kirk wrote:
>Hey there listmembers
>
>Im kind of newbie within the backup area so maybe this isnt so
> special after all?
>
>I wanna do a full backup every weekend and incremental rest of the
>week which lead me to have
>
>dumpcycle 7
>
>now the trouble is this will make amanda do full backups on sunday
>right? The problem is that we are doing our backup over a dslline
>which we can't transfer a full backup over in just one day? Whats
> the solution for that? What i would like is begin the full backup
> on friday afternoon (when everybody is off for weekend) and
> continue over the weekend makeing full backup. Start monday with
> incremental backup and rotate again the next friday?
>
>Another thing is a full backup in this case is more than a
> tapefull whats the solution for that?

That "fixed schedule" s not the design target for amanda. Amanda
wants to be in charge of the scheduleing.  And she does it in a
manner that, when you set the dumpcycle to be 7 days, will
guarantee that each entry in the disklist will be covered by a full
backup at some point in those 7 days.  The idea is to try and
equalize the amount of data put on tape each night.  This also gets
around the full is too big for the media problem very nicely.  I'm
backing up over 40 gigs of stuff here, on 120 meter DDS-2 media,
and the individual nights tape averages maybe 55% used.

The general solution for someone who wants a weekly offsite backup
would be to go ahead and set the dumpcycle to 7 days, but have 14
or 21 tapes (plus a couple for spares in case a tape gets damaged)
in the tapecycle so that last weeks can be brought in for re-use in
the following 7 days and this weeks 7 day collection can be taken
home, always on the same day of the week, thereby guaranteeing that
you have a full backup offsite.  With 21 tapes, leave 14 of them
offsite except when doing the exchanges, bring in the oldest set of
7 for reuse.

 It also means that if one tape is foobar, you still have most of
your data because its spread over several tapes with no one tape
being the key to a full backup image.

Left to her own devices, amanda will do a very good job of
safeguarding your data, we think its the best in the business, but
she does like to do it her way.  Amanda cannot span a partition
image across more than one tape, but if the media should fill, she
will restart from zero that failed dump on the next tape if given
permission to use more than one tape per run, see the runtapes
option in amanda.conf.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M