Amanda-Users

Re: mt rewind strangness

2002-08-27 11:33:26
Subject: Re: mt rewind strangness
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:16:06 -0400
On Tuesday 27 August 2002 10:28, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>Has anyone else noted this behavior?
>    "mt rewind" returns (completes) before tape is rewound

Talking to yourself again Jon? :-)

>Specifically,
>
>When I issue an "mt rewind" from a shell command line,
>the tape begins to rewind (lights on drive blinking)
>and after about 10 seconds the mt command completes
>and I get my shell prompt for the next command.
>
>However, the tape has not yet rewound completely,
>the drive lights are still blinking.
>
>If I issue a second mt command (another rewind or status)
>that command blocks until the tape is completely rewound
>before executing and returning.
>

>I'm wondering if this is why my amcheck command sometimes
>fails to find the correct tape in my changer though amdump
>always does.  Perhaps amcheck does an mt rewind and  it
>returns before the tape drive is done rewinding.  Then
>amcheck might issue a command that times-out rather than
>blocking and thus amcheck thinks that slot has no or the
>wrong tape.
>
>Just musing.

Its a good muse, and I don't know an answer unless its to do with
something local to your system.  "mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind" does an
absolute block until the rewind is complete here on a linux 2.4.19
athlon system, and always has.

There was a point about 6 or 8 months back up the log when the
command in amanda was broken, wrong ioctl or something, but when
that occured, the drive had never seen that command at all.  And
that gave us a lot of false can't find label such and such reports
at the time.

Have you built and installed the 20020826 snapshot yet?  I need to
do that yet today, I'm still on 20020823 here.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M