Amanda-Users

host name lookup failed

2002-08-27 14:20:59
Subject: host name lookup failed
From: "Larry Dunham" <ldunham AT 1tech DOT net>
To: "Amanda-Users" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:49:41 -0500
Pardon my ignorance here, I'm fairly new to the Linux OS, so I'm sure this
is old hat to many of you, but...

We recently replaced a machine that an Amanda server was backing up
remotely--it was working beautifully before.  We put it at the same IP
address, but gave it a different machine name.  The first time we ssh'd to
it, got the standard message that the RSA key was missing, so we regenerated
the keys for the new machine.  Then I deleted the machine from my
Known_Hosts file and connected from my Amanda server and accepted the new
key. Now I can ssh with no problem, although I have to ssh to the old name,
and the prompt shows the new name.   If I try to ssh to the new name
directly, I get a "Name or service not known" error.  I can live with that.
My problem is getting the new machine backed up using the Amanda server.

At first, I was getting a FAILED report from Amanda regarding that machine
(data timeout).  Then I remembered that I had not set up the Amanda client
in xinetd, so I added the Amanda service and restarted xinetd.  I wasn't
sure how to list the machine name in my Amanda disklist file, so as an
experiment, I listed both names and also the IP address of the client in
disklist and ran Amcheck.  I get the message

ERROR: (newclientname): [addr (IP address of local Amanda server): hostname
lookup failed]
ERROR: (oldclientname): [addr (IP address of local Amanda server): hostname
lookup failed]
ERROR: (clientIPaddress): [addr (IP address of local Amanda server):
hostname lookup failed]

This Amanda server continues to back up other clients without failure.
Since amcheck can't find the remote client using its IP address, I'm
assuming it's not a DNS issue.  Any ideas?

Larry Dunham