Amanda-Users

mt rewind strangness

2002-08-27 10:48:35
Subject: mt rewind strangness
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:28:02 -0400
Has anyone else noted this behavior?
    "mt rewind" returns (completes) before tape is rewound

Specifically,

When I issue an "mt rewind" from a shell command line,
the tape begins to rewind (lights on drive blinking)
and after about 10 seconds the mt command completes
and I get my shell prompt for the next command.

However, the tape has not yet rewound completely,
the drive lights are still blinking.

If I issue a second mt command (another rewind or status)
that command blocks until the tape is completely rewound
before executing and returning.

I'm wondering if this is why my amcheck command sometimes
fails to find the correct tape in my changer though amdump
always does.  Perhaps amcheck does an mt rewind and  it
returns before the tape drive is done rewinding.  Then
amcheck might issue a command that times-out rather than
blocking and thus amcheck thinks that slot has no or the
wrong tape.

Just musing.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)