Amanda-Users

Re: Holding Disk Question

2002-08-15 15:10:33
Subject: Re: Holding Disk Question
From: John Koenig <jfkoenig AT vipb DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:49:15 -0700
My motto:  Disk is cheap, don't skimp on holding disk.

Yup... after I deployed a 181 GB drive for our holding disk, I saw somewhat different behavior in amstatus... though I would have expected the total time of the backups to drop (compared to a relatively small 25 GB holding space I used before) they did not... I conclude this was because the entire run is tape i/o bound... Holding disk usage on the runs with this disk were about 90% capacity... so the clients were not taking so long to complete their data transfers...

This would seem to indicate I need to double this amount of space to hold 2 days of backups, currently... I'd like to have a week's worth, actually.... in case the tape goes South and replacement is not easy and quick.

So does the chunksize parameter affect performance in any way?

thx