Amanda-Users

Re: patched-up version of tar.

2002-08-13 17:39:27
Subject: Re: patched-up version of tar.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:26:13 -0400
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:53:59PM -0400, John D. Bickle wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I have a lot of log files that change in size almost constantly, and i
> understand that when tar returns an error while trying to archive a file
> whose size has changed, the entire dump of the filesystem fails (i understand
> this problem exists regardless of what version of tar you are using, but
> please correct me if i am wrong).
>
> Does anyone how to prevent tar from returning this error (whether a
> particular version of tar + flag, a hack, a patch, or whatever), and can you
> please send me the URL to this version/doc?
>
> I have tried using dump instead of tar, but i suppose this will result in the
> same problem and it doesn't work anyway for reasons best addressed in a
> seperate e-mail.
>
> I tried "googling" this problem, but to no avail.

Is this a problem you are having or just something you understand?

I believe that when amanda runs gnutar it uses the "--ignore-failed-read"
option.
This option has the effect of allowing that file to be skipped but continues the
dump.  At the end, gnutar exits with an non-zero exit status if the option was
used AND a file had read errors.

On most of my systems this non-zero status is not a problem.  On my cygwin
client
it did cause problems so I modified tar's source code to force a zero exits
status.

Depending on the system you are using, you may be able to make a readonly
"snapshot"
of the file system before the dump/tar.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)