Amanda-Users

patched-up version of tar.

2002-08-13 14:58:46
Subject: patched-up version of tar.
From: "John D. Bickle" <jdb AT rvbs DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:53:59 -0400
Hi folks.

I have a lot of log files that change in size almost constantly, and i
understand that when tar returns an error while trying to archive a file whose
size has changed, the entire dump of the filesystem fails (i understand this
problem exists regardless of what version of tar you are using, but please
correct me if i am wrong).

Does anyone how to prevent tar from returning this error (whether a particular
version of tar + flag, a hack, a patch, or whatever), and can you please send
me the URL to this version/doc?

I have tried using dump instead of tar, but i suppose this will result in the
same problem and it doesn't work anyway for reasons best addressed in a
seperate e-mail.

I tried "googling" this problem, but to no avail.

cheers,
john.