Amanda-Users

Re: patched-up version of tar.

2002-08-14 10:12:23
Subject: Re: patched-up version of tar.
From: "John D. Bickle" <jdb AT rvbs DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:02:37 -0400
Jon LaBadie wrote:

> Is this a problem you are having or just something you understand?

*ouch*. Please excuse my writing style. ;-)

> On most of my systems this non-zero status is not a problem.  On my cygwin
> client
> it did cause problems so I modified tar's source code to force a zero exits
> status.

Unfortunately, on the majority of my clients tar returns non-zero exit status,
so i will have to find a workaround.

I have received three suggestions so far:

1. Hack tar to force it to return a non-error status

I think 1 is the best option for systems that only have logfiles, since the
only thing that would be missing in the backup is the appended lines, which
would be backed up the next day in any event.

Q. Is there modified tar source posted somewhere on the net by some kind soul?

2. Ignore files which change size during a backup

This one is the least likely option, as even logfiles can be important.

3. Take a snapshot of the system before backing it up.

On systems that have files whose entire 'state' changes, it seems this is the
most reasonable solution. Examples of this would be databases or hash files,
etc., in which case a shell script could be written to take care of this before
the backup runs.

Q: What do you do for large files which are constantly changing? for example,
one of my files is 800MB and its 'state' changes fairly regularly, resulting in
failed or inaccurate backups. I haven't figured out what to do with this one. I
don't know of any way to 'lock' the file during a backup procedure, or even
while copying it somewhere else, for that matter. Does anyone have a suggestion
here?

Thank-you so much for your help!

cheers,
john.