Amanda-Users

Re: dumps too bigggg.....

2002-08-13 14:48:13
Subject: Re: dumps too bigggg.....
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: Chris Johnson <chris AT sebis DOT com>, amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:36:00 -0700
On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:19:05AM -0500, Chris Johnson wrote:
>     Now that the first dump somewhat worked I have more questions.
>     Two of the file systems had errors dumping. I am attempting to
> backup 2x 45GB and 2x 9 GB file systems. I'm using a DLT tape changer.
> The errors came backs as:
>
> *hostname* /u lev 0 FAILED [dumps too big, but cannot incremental dump new
> disk]
> *hostname* /u5 lev 0 FAILED [dumps too big, but cannot incremental dump new
> disk]

The "usual" way to cold start an amanda config with totaldisk > tapesize
is to start with disklist mostly commented out, then uncomment
a few each day.

In your case, assuming your disk usage is "normal" (< 10% new
files/day, say) you've got enough tape for your 4 file systems once you
get into the rotation, and you could have commented out 1x9 and 1x45
the first night and uncommented them today.

Moot point now, though.  :-)  Amanda will catch up tonight and start
balancing the level0 rotation tomorrow night, without you intervening
at all.

> did dump both a 9GB and a 45GB file system to the tape. I was hoping
> that amanda would load the another tape to finnish the dump but only one
> tape was used.

If you set 'runtapes 2', it'll use two tapes.  I did that once in a
cold-start situation, instead of the uncommenting trick, and it
worked great.  Deleted the runtapes entry the next day.

> The report emailed to me said that only 60% of the tape
> was used. Why didn't the one of the other two tapes get used?

Because runtapes defaults to 1.

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461