Amanda-Users

Re: META mailing list policy....

2002-08-13 13:21:20
Subject: Re: META mailing list policy....
From: Todd Kover <kovert AT omniscient DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:11:22 -0400
 > [ On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 at 11:34:23 (-0400), Todd Kover wrote: ]
 > > Subject: Re: Free Adult Movies
 > >
 > > There are some spam constraints in place.  One of the biggest
 > > ones that's not in there is restriction of posting to the list to
 > > members-only.  Generally, amanda-users sees about 50% of it's traffic
 > > from non-members.
 >
 > Perhaps there should be an "amanda-bugs" and/or "amanda-info" list(s)
 > which are open to non-members and "amanda-users" should be for members
 > only.  That way new users could post bug reports and request basic info,
 > etc., and the regular crowd could avoid most (or at least more) spam.
 > Real people need not even subscribe to the open lists -- the bug reports
 > could be filtered and forwarded to a mail gateway for the bug tracking
 > system on sourceforge, and the info list could basically be a semi-smart
 > autoresponder.

amanda-users is documented all over the place as the place to go for
help for amanda so it would make more sense to fan traffic to other
lists, however this sounds somewhat onerous for people to interact on
the mailing list.

I'd like to set things up so non-members get pased through a different
set of rules (possibly the message gets run through spamassassin
somehow) and/or the relay maps and the like, and if it's suspicious
enough, making the sender acknowledge the message somehow (as with
subscriptions).

Is anyone aware of packages that do this sort of thing before I consider
writing one? (please respond to be privately, this is already a bit off
topic).

 > > I see a similar amount of spam on other lists I'm on that are as old as
 > > amanda-users.
 >
 > I'd say amanda-users is better than many other "open" lists, but then
 > again I've unsubscribed to many other "open" lists because of spam
 > problems....  :-)

yeah, ever since I've started using spamassassin, I've seen it cut down in
all lists.  :)

 > How many subscribers are there now?

          1592 amanda-announce
           494 amanda-hackers
          1086 amanda-users

remember that amanda-users is also on amanda-announce.

-Todd