Amanda-Users

Re: META mailing list policy....

2002-08-13 12:48:11
Subject: Re: META mailing list policy....
From: woods AT weird DOT com (Greg A. Woods)
To: Todd Kover <kovert AT omniscient DOT com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:37:16 -0400 (EDT)
[ On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 at 11:34:23 (-0400), Todd Kover wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Free Adult Movies
>
> There are some spam constraints in place.  One of the biggest
> ones that's not in there is restriction of posting to the list to
> members-only.  Generally, amanda-users sees about 50% of it's traffic
> from non-members.

Perhaps there should be an "amanda-bugs" and/or "amanda-info" list(s)
which are open to non-members and "amanda-users" should be for members
only.  That way new users could post bug reports and request basic info,
etc., and the regular crowd could avoid most (or at least more) spam.
Real people need not even subscribe to the open lists -- the bug reports
could be filtered and forwarded to a mail gateway for the bug tracking
system on sourceforge, and the info list could basically be a semi-smart
autoresponder.

> I see a similar amount of spam on other lists I'm on that are as old as
> amanda-users.

I'd say amanda-users is better than many other "open" lists, but then
again I've unsubscribed to many other "open" lists because of spam
problems....  :-)

How many subscribers are there now?

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods AT ieee DOT org>;           <woods AT
robohack DOT ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods AT planix DOT com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods AT
weird DOT com>