Amanda-Users

amdump and tar don't work

2002-08-09 03:19:14
Subject: amdump and tar don't work
From: thomas holstein <thomas.holstein AT heitec DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:09:55 +0200
I have a problem with Amanda version 2.4.3b2 on a FreeBSD stable box. My backups with dump work just fine, but I wanted to do my backups with tar, so I changed my amanda.conf to do tar instead of dump. Amcheck does not show any mistakes, but when I perform amdump I always get 'disk offline' in the mail reports

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
samson.hei /dev/da0s1e lev 0 FAILED [disk /dev/da0s1e offline on samson.heitec.net?]

and runtar gives me the message

runtar: debug 1 pid 16698 ruid 1003 euid 0 start time Thu Aug 8 13:31:27 2002
/usr/bin/tar: version 2.4.3b2
error [must be invoked by operator]

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I even reinstalled my Amanda with the configure arguments user=amanda group=operator and checked the version of GNUTAR but nothing worked; I still get the same message. I would really be pleased if anyone could help me, I'm getting quite frustrated from this.

Thank you Thomas